Thursday, September 12, 2013

Santa Rosa Festa


The Tuesday, September 3, after I arrived Viterbo had the Santa Maria Festival.


Santa Rosa was born in Viterbo and spent her life praying and helping her fellow citizens have faith in the lord.  During this time Viterbo was in revolt against the Pope so they disapproved of what she was doing and exiled her and her family.   When the Pope won against Viterbo Santa Rosa came back and performed many miracles such as submitting to a fire test for three hours, without burning; she cured many diseased people, for example, a little girl called Delicata who was blind from birth.  One year later she died from tuberculosis.  Santa Rosa was declared Saint eighteen months after her death.  The Pope decided seven years later to move her body into the church where she wanted to be.  When they retrieved the body they noticed that it was found pink and uncorrupted, as if it had just died.  On September 4,1258 the Pope ordered her body to be carried by four cardinals along the streets of Viterbo, to the little church of Santa Maria Della Domianite of Assisi.  Now every year the town holds a festival where 100 Facchini pick up a massive 28m high Macchina that is illuminated with 3,000 lights and 800 candles, and is toped with a statue of Santa Rosa. The 5-ton Macchina is carried from Porta Romana to the church (1,200m).




The body of Santa Rosa


The Parade of Santa Rosa
(Everyone was dressed in old attire) 










The men who carry the Macchina (Faccini)



The Facchini (100)
My apartment looks right over Porta Romana, which is where the beginning of the festival took place.   We invited students from USAC over to have dinner and watch the festival from our balcony.  Our instructors warned us not to have too many people on the balcony at once because it could collapse, thankfully it didn’t.

My Roommate is on the far right (Stacy)
I am really sad because I have a lot of cool videos of the Facchini lifting up the Macchina and carrying it away but I can't seem to figure out how to upload them.  Here are some pictures so you can get the general idea.
The view from my balcony and the start of the Transportation.

The Macchina making its way to the church

Every ally in Viterbo was filled with people

Fiore di ceilo ( Flower in the sky)



After the Macchina past our house I went with my roommate Sara and her friend Stella and we followed the Macchina to the end.   When the Macchina was close to the end it exploded with flower pedals and Stella told me that if you caught one in the air then it was good luck.  I tried but my height was against me and some tall man grabbed one that was falling right towards me. 

At midnight there were fireworks and they were the best I have ever seen.  There were times that I ducked because I thought that they were coming right at me and every time I thought that it was the finally they just kept going. 
Santa Rosa was a life changing experience.  It was very interesting to learn about Viterbo’s history and to see the locals celebrate such a wonderful event.









No comments:

Post a Comment